The Lentil soup recipe you will find below is a highly nutritious choice for you and for your children. Lentils are a great source of vegetarian protein and may reduce blood sugar levels.They recognized also as a good source of dietary fiber, iron, and potassium.
Lentil Soup Recipe
- 350 gr. lentils
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 small pumpkin pieces or 2 small carrots
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper and oregano
- 1 1/2 liters water or 1 1/2 vegetables stock.
- Rinse the lentils and drain.
- Place a large pot over medium heat.
- Coarsely chop the onion and add it to the pot along with the olive oil.
- Add the pumpkin pieces or the carrot pieces to the pot and sauté for 3-5 minutes, until they soften.
- Add the garlic cloves to the pot along with the bay leaves.
- Stir and add the lentils and cover them with water or vegetable stock.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 45-60 minutes over medium to low heat.
- When ready, add the salt. (The salt is not added at the beginning so that the lentils don’t harden.)
- serve the lentil soup in a serving bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of vinegar.
- Lentils soup would be great also with toasted bread, anchovies, and olives on the side.