Keeping track of relevant articles on a blog is hard, especially if you’re new to it and have no clue as to how it works. With the help of author tracking you will be able to:
- Discover the popular authors of your blog and give them the appreciation they deserve.
- Analyze the bounce rates (the percentage of visitors who leave after seeing only one page) and spot engaging content.
- Further optimize and tweak your blog to captivate your readers, once you’re equipped with the reader statistics.
Author tracking with google analytics reveals a whole new dimension of information.
Disclosure: Please note that this post contains affiliate links, which means we may receive a small commission, at no cost to you, if you purchase through a link. We want to ensure you that we only recommend high-quality products or services we use, trust, and love, and we believe it will add value to our readers.
With MonsterInsights you can leverage that information to your advantage and promote your blog in a way you never thought was possible.
Why MonsterInsights is considered the best analytics Plugin
MonsterInsights enables you to grow your business with confidence.
- Real-time statistics
Keep an eye on who is online and how they are interacting with your website. You will also have easy access to Google Analytics right at your WordPress dashboard.
- Simple tracking procedures
Set up universal tracking across campaigns with relative ease.
- Flexible Filters
Gain access to specific metrics such as categories and tags for all your posts.
How to install MonsterInsights on your WordPress website
Google Analytics won’t track your authors. You’ll be needing a separate add-on for that job. MonsterInsights is reliable, easy to set up, and use even for beginners.
- Go to your WordPress admin page and navigate to the ‘Plugins’ option from the ‘Dashboard’.
- Type in ‘MonsterInsights’ in the search bar and press enter.
- Once the results are finished loading, click on ‘Install Now’ just below the name.
- You can also read a brief description of MonsterInsights under the description section.
You may also like: How to Start a Blog (The Easy Way)
Author Tracking – How to set up MonsterInsights
- In the case of MonsterInsights, you’ll have to activate it and will be provided with a serial key.
- After activation, navigate to the ‘Insights’ section and select ‘Add-ons’.
- Choose the ‘Dimensions’ add-on. It will help you adjust filters for author tracking.
- Copy the license key you used to activate your MonsterInsights account. You’ll need it to connect WordPress with Google Analytics.
- Login to your WordPress account, navigate to the ‘Insights’ plugin, and go to ‘Settings’.
- Paste the license key in the empty field and click on ‘Verify’.
Once you’re done with the verification you’ll have to set up ‘Custom Dimensions’ to actively track your readers and bloggers.
- Select the ‘Tracking’ tab from the top of the menu and choose the ‘Custom Dimensions’ from the list on the left.
- A drop-down menu will appear. Choose the ‘Author’ option from the list and click on Save Changes’.
That’s all on WordPress. Now login into your Google Analytics account.
- From the list of links select and open the one belonging to your blog.
- Go to the Admin tab and choose the ‘Custom Dimensions’ option from the ‘Custom Definitions’ sub-menu.
- Add a ‘New Custom Dimension’ and type in ‘Author’ in the ‘Name’ field. Click on the ‘Create’ button. Leave the other setting as they are.
- The last step includes matching the Google Analytics index number with the Custom ID available in the MonsterInsights settings.
To properly track the authors with the greatest possible accuracy:
- Go to Google Analytics and navigate to ‘Customization’.
- Choose ‘Custom Reports’.
- Add a metric group via the ‘Report Content’ field.
- At the bottom of the page in the ‘Dimensions Drilldown’ section, type in ‘Author’ and save the whole thing.
Finally, you’re all set to monitor the page traffic and views along with the bounce rates of those respective blogs as well.
Setting up author tracking might appear cumbersome, but done correctly, the tool can potentially improve your sites reactivity to readers.
Providing the proper content to hungry readers is a key factor in improving your blog’s overall ranking and popularity on the internet.