“You lose pounds quickly without being hungry and maintain lifetime your new weight.” These promises are from the Dukan diet, which came from France and caused worldwide excitement.
Her reputation took off on the occasion of the royal British wedding in 2011, as both Kate Middleton and her mother Carol said in media that they made this diet before the royal wedding!
Following this press statement, Jennifer Lopez, Penelope Cruz, and Giselle Bundchen lost their extra pounds with this diet plan. Dukan diet is followed today by thousands of people around the world.
Dukan Diet – an introduction
The Dukan Diet was created by French medical doctor and nutritionist Pierre Dukan as a treatment for obese people.
It is a four-phase diet, high in protein and low in carbs. You don’t have to weigh your food or count calories. Eat as much as you want daily, at any time, if you eat pure protein is at least initially.
In fact, protein is the main trunk during the four phases, along with oat bran, enough water and 20 minutes of walking daily. The vegetables are permitted in the second stage and small quantities of fruit and wholemeal products.
Does it sound familiar? If so is because Dukan Diet is pretty much like the Atkins diet. Those who follow it lose weight quickly, about 0.5 to 1 kg a day in the first phase, which according to Dukan is a motivation to continue. Also, promises that hunger will disappear after the third day.
However, he mentioned to those who follow the diet that it is possible to have bad breath, constipation, dry mouth and fatigue, all as a result of low intake of carbohydrates and high protein.
The four phases of the Dukan Diet
This is basically a protein diet, but it is considered healthier than conventional protein diets such as the Atkins diet.
Secret food: oat bran.
Phase 1: Attack
Period of 2-7 days, depending on the weight we intend to lose.
FOOD Consumption: only protein foods low in fat (turkey, chicken, steaks, eggs, fish), lean or semi-lean dairy and a half tablespoon of oat bran daily.
RESULT: Fast weight loss.
Phase 2: Cruize
The time period depends on the weight you want to lose. Cease once the desired weight is achieved.
FOOD: One day consume pure protein and the next protein together with vegetables (vegetables allowed 28). We also need to put in our daily two tablespoons of oat bran.
RESULT: loss of 1 kg per week.
Phase 3: Consolidation
Duration of 10 days for each pound of weight loss.
FOOD: consume daily proteins and vegetables, adding 1 and then 2 fruit, 2 slices of wholemeal bread and 40 gr. of cheese.
Twice a week we eat or consume starchy foods (eg pasta) and are entitled to two “gala” meals with foods that missed us during the diet (eg chocolate). To grow, oat bran 3 tablespoons a day.
RESULT: reserve our new weight.
Phase 4: Stabilization
Stabilization is the phase in which our target is to become a way of life.
FOOD: We eat whatever we want, but respecting three rules:
1) You must eat only protein one day a week (e.g every Thursday), 2) Eat daily 3 tablespoons oat bran,
3) Walk 20 minutes a day.
RESULT: Lifelong maintain the desired weight.
A Sample Menu of Dukan Diet
- Coffee or tea (with skim milk and sweetener)
- 225 grams low-fat yogurt or 225 grams low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 slice of turkey or chicken or ham (low fat) or 1 egg or 1 pancake oat
- 115 grams low-fat yogurt or 115 grams low-fat cottage cheese
- Grilled salmon fillet or roast beef fillet
- 225 grams low-fat yogurt
115 grams low-fat yogurt and 1 slice turkey or 115 grams low-fat yogurt and 1 slice turkey
- Eggs stuffed with crab or chicken with mustard
- Cream vanilla or 115 grams low-fat yogurt
- Baked, boiled or steamed any type of beef, poultry, fish and seafood, eggs, milk under 2% fat, sweeteners and spices
- Sugar-free chewing gum.
- 2 liters of water, at least daily (plain or carbonated)
- Tea, coffee and light drinks (no more than 1 calorie per glass)
- 1 – 5 tablespoon of oats a day
- In all phases allowed unlimited: Garlic, seaweed, dill, basil, cocoa fat (up to 20% fat), cinnamon, cardamom, parsley, cloves, coriander, pickle without oil, cumin, turmeric, saccharin, stevia, aspartame, tarragon, ginger, peppermint, nutmeg, fresh, onion, paprika, pepper, red-hot pepper, rosemary, saffron, sauce soy – not soy milk, soy mince , tofu, tomato sauce in a box (without sugar) (NO fresh tomatoes in the first phase), vinegar, balsamic, vanilla (flavoring drops or powder), sugar free gum, yeast powder, oat bran and wheat, salt (in moderation ) and lemon (up to 1 per day).
Tip: Throughout the diet –in all of the 4 phases provided drinking water 8-12 cups daily.
You May Like D.A.SH Diet Voted the No.1 Diet in the World!
- Rapid weight loss.
- There is no limit to the quantity of food you eat.
- No need to count the calories you consume.
- The oat bran consumption is related to lower cholesterol, better control of the pressure and the sugar and combat constipation, which can occur in the first phase of the diet.
- The emphasis on the type of protein. Recommended lean meats and light dairy products
- The exclusive protein consumption in the first phase may increase cholesterol values.
- The absence of fruits and vegetables is associated with a deficiency of vitamins and trace elements.
- The lack of carbohydrates in the first phase and the limited consumption in the second can cause dizziness, constipation or weakness.
- In the first phase, the weight loss is greater than that indicated in the context of a balanced diet (1-5 kg per week).
- Increased protein intake increases the risk of arthritis.
- There are no studies to prove that the drastic reduction of carbohydrates is a guarantee for weight loss.
- It is monotonous, especially in the first stage where it doesn’t contain vegetables and fruits.
What experts say about the Dukan Diet
The diet consists entirely of protein foods, thus more than 50% of the weight lost comprises water. Because of this, it caused intense dehydration in the body and is likely to experience symptoms such as headaches, weakness, and fatigue.
Possibly also occur constipation due to reduced consumption of fiber contained in food with carbohydrates. Eating a half spoonful of oat bran is not enough to meet the Recommended Daily Allowance for fiber, but if we follow this diet for a short time, we will not face these particular risks.
The disadvantage of this phase is also the consumption of animal protein sources, which would increase blood cholesterol values.
If you do choose lean meats and dairy products (such as the Dukan diet as recommended), then the risk decreases. Good, however, is to consult your dietitian.
In this step prohibited fruit and starchy vegetables. Countless studies support the importance of fruit and vegetables in our daily diet, while experts recommend eating five servings daily.
Phase 3 to 4
Water balance returns to normal levels if we eat foods from all food groups. However, is more likely to increase your weight.
The Dukan Diet is a protein diet, thus actually achieved rapid weight loss. This causes pleasure to those who follow, but unfortunately most of the time the lost kg/pounds come back.
However, according to the World Health Organization, the proper weight loss is 4-5 kg per month.
In general, the diet based on a larger proportion of protein and fat and less carbohydrate. It has good short-term results, but they reversed in about 12 months. This is because the majority of the lost weight is liquids and not fat.
It is important, before we follow such a diet, to consult a professional nutritionist. The Diet is prohibitive to those who have kidney problems.
Note to vegans and vegetarians:
The Dukan Diet plan – it’s a weight loss program based on the protein found in dairy and meat products. There are specific rules of what you can or cannot consume.
Vegetarians who eat fish are able to complete a modified form of the Dukan Diet. However, be prepared to eat a lot of fish, eggs and dairy products.
Vegans who choose not to eat any type of animal products are not well suited for the Dukan Diet.
- Before starting a new diet or/and an exercise program please consult your doctor