South Beach Diet Review
South Beach Diet is a famous diet plan that is designed by cardiologist Arthur Agatston and dietician Marie Almon. This diet was designed to act as an alternative to other popular diet programs out in the market.
The initial purpose of the diet program is to prevent heart disease, but its appeal has transcended that and right now this diet is considered as one of the most popular and one of the most effective.
The system and the idea of this type of diet are simple. In the simplest sense, this diet will replace bad carbohydrates and bad fats with good carbohydrates and good fats.
For women who want to slim down with the use of this diet program, then it should be noted that they should be of the age 20 or up.
The South Beach Diet program is divided into three phases and each of these phases will progressively become liberal. The phase one of the diet programs will last for two weeks of the diet program.
South Beach Diet is characterized by three phases:
On this phase, sugars, processed carbohydrates, and fruits are taken out of the system.
- The purpose of this stage of the diet program is to eliminate the hunger cycle and this can deliver weight loss in the person.
- The second phase of the diet program will continue as long as the person wants to lose weight.
- In this stage, fruits and vegetables are now reintroduced into the diet.
- The third phase of the diet program is called the maintenance phase.
- This now will last for life. If one would say that this diet program can adapt and can last for life then this should be taken seriously.
This kind of diet will call for time and attention. One of the good things about this diet is that you will be given the chance to dine out and at the same time eat well.
And you can make it happen by following some simple rules and you need to stick to the principles of the diet program.
It really would not matter if you are a busy career woman who lacks spare time for a diet. This type of diet program would make dieting attainable and doable even for busy and career women.
But, in order for a diet program to be working and effective then one should need to know the importance of compliance and obedience to the certain and specific ground rules of this diet program in order for one to really see the effect of which.
The following are the specific ground rules to consider when one is on a South Beach Diet Program:
- When dining out with friends in restaurants then you need to consider the unprocessed, the unrefined carbohydrates like your whole grains, the whole fruits, and fresh leafy vegetables. These are the things that you should select in order to stay and toe the line of the diet program.
- In dining out then you should also focus on lots of lean protein like the protein from chicken, fish and some cuts of meat. You should also prioritize the low-fat dairy and the reduced-fat cheese.
- One should carefully select the food items that are rich in good fats. Foods rich in good fats would be fishes, avocados, and nuts. Also, make sure that the dishes that you will eat are prepared with the use of healthy oils like your olive oil or canola oil.
- Definitely, you should say no to the food items that are high in saturated fat like the fatty cuts of bacon and beef. If possible, you also need to stay away from processed meats like your salami.
- Make sure that you eat food items that are rich in fiber. Fiber can be sourced from your fruits, vegetables, and nuts. Other food items that are rich in fiber include white bread, cakes, and white rice.
- It is also important to avoid added sugar. You should avoid Cola drinks. Also, be aware of the hidden sugars that you can find in dressings and the food sauces.
If dining out cannot be avoided and if it comes occasionally then just be mindful of the following strategies on how to effectively battle on high sugar and high fat temptation.
Here would be some of the lists of the best strategies that you can use when you are dining and eating out. Here are some of the wise suggestions:
Have a protein snack before a date.
When you do this, then at least your appetite can be tempered and you will no pig out on the food items that will be served in your favorite restaurants.
You can eat a hard-boiled egg or you can have a piece of cheese right before you leave your home. At least by doing this, you will not be tempted to order and eat a lot when you are out.
Set aside the breadbasket, the chips, and all that stuff.
These food choices that you normally order in the past all contain ingredients that the body will not like. These will contain bad and unrefined carbohydrates. And if you eat food items like these, then these can give you that immediate boost yet, in the long run, will only allow you to become hungrier.
If this is already served in your table, as much as possible try to ignore this basket since this will not do your slimming efforts well.
Ordering soup can be a good thing.
It is wise to order a cup of soup the moment you are seated at your table. Now consume this soup right before you take your meal.
If you are planning to get your soup, consider the soup that is rich in vegetables and make sure that the soup that you will get is not cream-based. Or what you can do is to order just the clear broth.
The nice thing about the soup that you will order is that this will fill your tummy up and as such your hunger will be tempered and you will not be tempted to eat that much the moment the food is served on your table.
And the nice thing about ordering and consuming your soup is that this will send that message to your brain that you are eating and you will feel full soon.
And since it takes roughly 20 minutes for the message to travel by the time the meal arrives then you are already satisfied and the craving is now gone.
In case there would be a need to order for extra, then it would be best if you can ask for extra veggies instead of starches.
In many cases when you dine out, the main course will often come with starchy side dishes, for example, you will be given mashed potatoes.
Remember those food items like these ones are not good for you if you are under the South Beach Diet. If you are going to ask for something extra, then it is suggested that you get vegetables instead.
You can go for string beans or broccoli and consider these as healthy extras on your plate.
Consider dishes that are cooked in a healthier way.
Look for healthier cooking methods as these can help you lose those extra pounds. And along with this line, it is always a recommended move if you can get away from the food items that come battered and fried. And if the food items do come with the rich butter sauce then just ask for these on the site.
Consider healthier cooking options. For example, you can go for roasted, broiled and grilled food items. Cooking options like these offer fewer fats and will not introduce fats that will not help you in your weight loss efforts.
Consider an alcoholic drink as not part of the plan.
If the waiter asks for something to drink, then better stick with a glass of water or you can go for diet soda.
You can also go for a glass of wine- red or white wine if you really want a taste of good life.
Don’t scrimp on the dessert, please.
You can also go for dessert. All diets will also call for some amount of dessert.
Life would be pretty boring without dessert. So don’t deprive yourself add some fun to your weight loss efforts.
Remember these ground rules related to the South Beach Diet.
Once you are aware of these ground rules, then it will be easier for you to follow the diet program and it will be easier for you to slim down and cut down those extra pounds.
- Before starting any new diet or/and an exercise program please consult your doctor